Egypt vows to break up protests as mediation ‘fails’
CAIRO, Qahirah August 8- Egypt’s government vowed to remove Islamist protest camps after it said foreign mediation had failed, sparking fears of a violent end to the month old standoff since president Mohamed Morsi’s ouster. Protesters camped out in the two Cairo squares insist they will stay until the Muslim Brotherhood’s Morsi is reinstated as president. The government’s solicitude for the holy month of Ramadan…in which it hoped the crisis would be resolved without the intervention of security, did not mean the cabinet had gone back on its decision,” he said, just hours before the end of the Muslim fasting month.
More than 250 people have been killed in clashes since Morsi’s ouster by the military on July 3, following days of mass rallies demanding his resignation. The government had already ordered police to end the sit ins and protests, which it described as a “national security threat,” but held off amid intense diplomatic efforts to find a peaceful resolution.... Read the full, comprehensive news article and discuss at CapitalFM